Friday, August 28, 2009

I have arrived!

After a relatively painless 9 hour plane ride to Beijing, I finally arrived in China! After going through health check, obviously I passed! with no fever, I stood in line for passport check and was off to get my baggage! The Beijing airport is GIGANTIC. After we landed, we taxied for like 15 minutes all around the airport.

Then I walked out of customs, and there was Per! It was great to see him, but he CLEARLY needs me. :) His clothing choices were qustionable. Can you say, white tennis shoes with black socks and shorts. So Euro tourist of him. But I love him anyway!

Then we took a 2 hour taxi ride, which only cost like 50 bucks (which is how much it costs to take a Taxi to and from Denny's in Los Gatos).
Here is a picture of Per and I in the taxi:

Tianjin is interesting. That's my first impression. Some building are really new tall high rises, and some look like slummy little houses. With some nice park areas spread out inbetween. A few of the buildings have mini Eiffel Towers on top. At first I thought it was supposed to really be an Eiffel Tower until I realized more than one building has it, that must mean it's for lightning or something. We live on the 32 floors, which is pretty darn cool, and we have a neat view.
View from out living room:

And I thought Swedish roundabouts were crazy, the ones here have no traffice lights!! People just go when they want, and whatch out if your are a pedestrian, because they don't care you are crossing the street!

View from the bedroom, and my new friends!


Me taking a nap on the couch. I was SOOOO tired!:



Our toilet is smarter than the average human being...keeps your butt warm and toasty and sprays it clean too :) :

Now Per and I will venture out into city for lunch! Hopefully it will be more successful than breakfast. First we went to a restaurant where no one could speak English and there was no English menu so we had to leave. Then we went to Starbucks, where Per ended up ordering me some green slushy drink which I decided not to drink because it has ice in it and the water is a no no here!
Off to see more of the city :)



4 comments:

  1. Hej Sara!!!!! Glad you are there!!! Fun hah? btw it's ok to have a drink with ice in it...they make ice from DRINKING water, not tap water.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to be really exciting to read your blog and find out more about your life in China ;) Good luck and say hi to Per ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehumm…. What’s wrong with Swedish roundabouts?? I feel offended 

    Awesome toilet  I guess Per’s toilet paper budget has reduced to only two rolls a day now 

    Your bike is now locked behind two steel doors… Can’t make any promises to it’s condition though it is a bit crowded in the bike parking in the basement. Remind me to check it out sometimes 

    Need to work a bit now. Give Per a squeeze from me and tell him he is a jerk :-P

    Kram

    ReplyDelete